top of page

Work Visas for Professionals

There are many different visa options for individuals looking to work in the U.S. At Aghnami Law, we'll help determine your eligibilty and map out a plan with you to ensure we find the best visa that will get you to where you want to be. Our employment-based immigration practice assists professionals across the globe in obtaining the following visas:


H-1B Visa

Professional Skilled Workers

One of the most popular and common work visas is the H-1B visa. This visa is for highly-educated foreign professionals to work in specialty occupations. Typical examples include graphic designers, software engineers, and financial analysts. 

Unlike other U.S. work visas, the H-1B visa is granted through a lottery system. Every year, only 85,000 H-1B visas are allotted to be granted to eligible individuals. Typically, an H-1B visa will be granted for a period of 3 years. However, extensions and even transfers to different companies may be granted under certain circumstances.

TN Visa

Canadian & Mexican Professionals

The TN visa allows qualifying Canadian and Mexican citizens to temporarily work for a U.S. employer under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). 


In order to be eligible the applicant must have (1)  an offer of employment , (2) a bachelor's degree or professional licensure, and (3) a profession on the NAFTA list. Some examples may include accountants, architects, economists, engineers, and lawyers.

L-1 Visa

Intracompany Transferees

The L-1 visa allows a U.S. employer to transfer managers, executives, and employees with specialized knowledge over from a foreign company that shares a qualifying relationship with the U.S. Employer.


L-1A visas are typically granted for a period of up to 3 years. Extensions of 2 years at a time may be granted, up to a maximum duration of 5-7 years depending on the L-1 Visa type (A or B).

E-3 Visa

Australian Professionals

The E-3 visa is a nonimmigrant work visa for qualifying Australian nationals to work in specialty occupations. Some examples of specialty occupations include Architects, Lawyers, Engineers, & Accountants.  


If you are an Australian interested in working in the U.S., this may be a great option for you if you have an offer of employment and possess the required academic credentials for the job position. 

EB-3 Visa

Green Card for Workers and Professionals

The EB-3 visa is an immigrant visa, otherwise known as a 'green card.' EB-3 stands for 'Employment-Based Third Preference' and is generally for individuals who do not qualify for the EB-1 or EB-2 visa preference categories.


For this category, you will need an employer to sponsor you. This visa is intended for (1) skilled workers, (2) professionals, or (3) other workers. While the criteria for the EB-3 visa is less stringent than those for the EB-1 or EB-2 visa, there is typically a significantly greater backlog for this visa category. 


COVID-19 UPDATE: At this time, our physical office location is closed. Our team at Aghnami Law will continue all operations remotely as we remain dedicated to serving you. All inquiries may be directed to us via email at

bottom of page